THE THUY NGUYEN SCHOLARSHIP
The scholarship has been established by Cuong Trinh, Trang Trinh, Quyen Trinh and An Trinh in memory of their beloved mother, Mrs. Thuy Nguyen.
In 1975, Thuy Nguyen fled Vietnam and started a new life in the United States along with her husband and their four children. To support their family, Mr. Ky Trinh and Mrs. Nguyen each worked at two full-time jobs to provide for their children. With her background and in those circumstances, Mrs. Nguyen saw clearly the benefits of an education, and she strongly encouraged her children to take advantage of the opportunities America provided by excelling in their academic work. This focus on education was one of the enduring gifts to her children. They are greatly indebted to their mother and have created this scholarship program to honor their mother and to pass on her legacy.
- High School senior with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher who is a descendant of at least one Vietnamese parent
- Family annual income of less than $20,000
Prize: $1,000 (prize will be rewarded to student's college of choice) (Note: The scholarship will be awarded to a new candidate each Freshmen year.)
Essay Question: In 1000 words or fewer, what does being Vietnamese-American mean to you and how does it affect your life?
- Essay must be typed and double spaced.
- Please include cover letter with name, address, and date of birth.
- Please include a copy of the most recent W-2 Form of parents.
- Student must have at least a cumulative 3.5 GPA on date of submission.
- Student must be a descendant of at least one Vietnamese parent
- Essays must be submitted by July 9 along with a photo.
- Please mail application, cover letter, essay and photo to:
135 East 57 th Street, 23 rd Floor
New York, NY 10007
- Response will be given to candidates by mail no later than July 26
- Please direct any questions you may have by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org