Case Manager for Katrina Aid Today
Vietnamese Culture and Science Association (VCSA) is a national Vietnamese-American community-based organization with 16 years of service and five chapters across the U.S and Canada. VCSA Houston chapter is looking for a full-time Case Manager to provide services to Asian Katrina victims under BPSOS’ CLASS Program funded by UMCOR’s Katrina Aid Today National Case Management Consortium.
DISASTER RELIEF AND RECOVERY PROGRAM: In the aftermath of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, VCSA-Houston has been assisting Vietnamese evacuees by providing direct assistance in the form of FEMA registration, cash assistance, housing referrals and employment service assistance. VCSA has worked in collaboration with several other community organizations in providing services and referral assistance to mainstream service providers.
CLASS (Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Social Services) program is an innovative model that helps the Vietnamese evacuees navigate through the social services system and other community resources to access benefits that will promote self-sufficiency as they recover and resettle post-disaster.
Salary: In the range of $30,000 - $36,000 dependent upon experience, plus health benefits.
1. Work closely with the Relief and Recovery team and the staff of VCSA’s partner organization to complete development of a comprehensive services model;
2. Conduct outreach on identification of and services available to Katrina hurricane victims;
3. Complete intakes and needs assessments for Asian Katrina hurricane victims;
4. Assist clients in accessing social services provided by the community at large, including ESL classes, housing, health care, employment, and public benefits;
5. Recruit and supervise volunteer navigators to accompany clients to appointments to provide advocacy, interpretation, and translation;
6. Access and process donations and assist in volunteer development;
7. Maintain confidential case files and input case data into software; and
8. Provide monthly report to Disaster Relief Operations Manager.
1. Bachelors degree in social work or related field;
2. Fluency in English and Vietnamese language;
3. Case management experience with disaster relief efforts preferred;
4. Ability to mobilize community resources;
5. Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
6. Bicultural background preferred; and
7. Valid driver’s license and vehicle for transporting clients, with expenses reimbursed.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume and list of three professional references to:
Hung Le, President
Vietnamese Culture and Science Association
11554 Bellaire Blvd – Houston, TX 77072
of fax to 281-847-4264